The International Conference on Artisanal and Small-scale Mining & Quarrying will to foster a global dialogue about the development opportunities and challenges of ASM. It will be a space for the voices of ASM to share visions of the future. A wide spectrum of commodities will be discussed ranging from the well-known, such as precious metals and precious stones, to those that have yet to receive due attention, such as Development Minerals, like aggregate and clay.
ASM18 is an initiative of the ACP-EU Development Minerals Programme, organised by the African Caribbean and Pacific Group of States, European Union, United Nations Development Programme and Government of Zambia with the support of the World Bank, African Union, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, International Conference on the Great Lakes Region, Intergovernmental Forum on Mining, Minerals, Metals and Sustainable Development, and German Cooperation. A range of specialised mining institutions and Regional Economic Communities of Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific will provide technical support.
Up to 400 participants are expected to attend ASM18, representing:
- Artisanal and small-scale miners; quarry workers; mineral processors and users; traders; equipment manufacturers; end-product producers and other private sector actors involved in the minerals supply chain.
- Representatives of mining and quarry associations, including women’s mining associations.
- Representatives of government ministries, agencies and geological surveys with the responsibility for oversight, regulation, monitoring, technical support and promotion of the sector.
- Academics and researchers.
- Civil society and non-government organisations.
- Multi-lateral and bilateral development actors, including inter-governmental organisations.
ASM18 will be held at the AVANI Victoria Falls Resort in Livingstone, Zambia. The natural beauty of the Mosi-oa-Tunya (Victoria Falls), located adjacent to the conference venue will provide a wonderful setting for the deliberations and a key drawcard for participation in this important international event.
No members found